Set on the edge of a valley overlooking the rolling Catalan hills and with the foothills of the Pyrenees in the distance, the centuries-old ‘Mas Casamitjana’ enjoys a stunning location near the charming town of Moià, and boasts some of the prettiest sunsets you’ll ever see.
They are located about an hour from Barcelona and its airport, and also from Girona and its ‘Costa Brava’ airport. Barcelona has a reputation as one of the trendiest cities in Europe, and the province of Catalunya is well known for its wonderful climate, beautiful natural light, fantastic food and wine.
This Must Be The Place has been created by British owners Jo and Duncan. They came to Barcelona with a dream, and have used their experience in UK music festivals and events (Duncan – Bestival / Camp Bestival / Sunday Best) and film production (Jo – films inc ‘Vicky Cristina Barcelona’), plus a load of hard work, to turn it into a reality. They can’t wait to welcome you to their home.
The centuries-old ‘Mas Casamitjana’ has been lovingly refurbished in a Modern Rustic style. Their philosophy has been to respectfully restore what was old, and where they have added new features they have done so with a more modern touch and lots of bespoke creativity.
There are several event spaces in and around the house for you and your guests to enjoy, and they have all been designed to give you total freedom as to how and where you would like to experience individual elements of your day.
The centrepiece are their three lovingly restored conjoined barns ‘Els Graners’ that open out onto the central courtyard ‘El Barri’. The stairs and balcony lead you up to ‘L’Era’, their large floral yard, and the small but perfectly formed ‘La Caseta’. Down a few steps from here you’ll find a lush terrace garden ‘La Feixa’. Adjacent to L’Era you will also find ‘El Mirador’, a large grassy space with stunning views and higher still ‘El Paddock’, a ceremony and photo-call space with jaw-dropping 360° views.
Say ‘I do’, eat, drink and dance – in or out (or shake it all about) – you decide.
They have 4 spacious ensuite guest rooms which occupy the entire ground floor and lower ground floor of the main house. They can hold up to 12 people and also come with a self catering breakfast room. For your other guests they have a comprehensive local accommodation brochure.
Their name and philosophy have been inspired by the Talking Heads song ‘This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)’, which songwriter David Byrne describes as:
“A real honest kind of love song… I tried to write one that wasn’t corny, that didn’t sound stupid or lame the way many do. I think I succeeded.”
He did, and they intend to too.
We have multiple event spaces at This Must Be The Place and you are free to individually tailor their use for each element of your day. In general your wedding day can be broken down into 4 elements - ceremony, aperitif, dinner and dancing - and you can decide what you want to do where.
- Els Graners - our barns are good for dining and dancing (and the ceremony and aperitif on wet days).
- El Barri - our central courtyard is effectively a large outdoor terrace next to our barns and is good for welcome drinks, aperitifs, ceremonies and as a spill out area from activities in the barns (like the late-night dancing).
- L’Era - our large garden yard is good for everything - particularly ceremonies, aperitifs and dining.
- La Caseta - our ‘little house’ is right next to L’Era and is good as a bar and shady chill out area during the aperitif, or as a children’s creche, or even as a dancing area (for smaller weddings).
- La Feixa - our lawned garden is good for welcome drinks, ceremonies, aperitifs and stunning views.
- El Mirador - our rustic grassy area is good for stunning views, welcome drinks, ceremonies and if you need a large flat space for a big marquee or some giant tipis.
- El Paddock - this large elevated area has the ultimate 360° views and is good for ceremonies and photo calls.
... that said though, please do feel free to be creative and use these areas in new ways!
No, we have no exclusive arrangements with any of our suppliers. However, to ensure we can maintain our high standards, we do request that you choose one of our recommended caterers. Please ask for our Recommended Suppliers document which lists these, and other (non-obligatory) suppliers that we can recommend to you.
Yes - there are lots of great options. Please ask us for our Local Accommodation document.
Yes definitely. We only hold one wedding / event at a time. We, the owners, live on the first and second floors of the main house - so we will be here too, helping out wherever we can.
We have three unique and stunning ceremony décor options:
- A metal triangle made from reclaimed steel beams that used to be part of an old barn that we took down. This can be moved and placed wherever you would like it.
- An antique metal gate which is permanently fixed up in El Paddock.
- A metal circular structure made from reclaimed steel to represent the circles of families and friends, and the way that they are connected. This can be moved and placed wherever you would like it.
Please ask for our ceremonies document for images and more information.