Images by Irene Yap Photography.
Hazel & Michael celebrated their love with a beautiful outdoor, garden party last July. Morden Hall was the setting and it couldn’t be more picturesque. With coloured ribbons, giant balloons, golden bridesmaid’s tattoos and garden games galore this is summer perfection.
Notes from the Bride
We chose Morden Hall as our venue as it had a very nice and spacious garden whilst the interiors were chic, simple and relaxed. We really wanted an outdoor wedding, but Morden Hall gave us a fab Plan B. The venue was also very conveniently located for our guests.
We wanted our wedding style to be fun and opted for bright pops of colour balanced with lots of greenery. We had large balloons with Tassels, an abundance of flowers and large lawn games.
Apart from the flowers we did quite a bit of DIY including the seating plan, hand written place cards for our guests and ribbons in the trees. We were so lucky to find Sarah, our florist. She was so passionate and created the most beautiful florals for us. We also bought sparklers to make an exit tunnel in the evening, all our guests really liked it.
My dress was by Rosa Clara and it was an off-the-shoulder, ball gown style. I found the dress in Italy as we live in the South of France, so the shop in Italy was the closest place I could try on this particular wedding dress! I accessorised with pearl earrings and a pearl necklace, both gifts from Michael’s Grandmother.
Our ceremony at Morden Hall was a blessing, so we could make it very personal and chose to write our own vows to each other. We invited Michael’s Grandfather (who has been married to Michael’s Grandmother for over 60 years) to read us a passage from the bible that focuses on love.
After the ceremony, we served Cocktails – a Gin Berry Fizz and a delicious Mocktail called Apple Juleps, which added fresh flowers for the decoration. Our canapés were yummy; we ate Wild Mushroom & Leek Tarts, King Prawn and Vegetable Tempura (served in a spoon), Crispy Fried Squid with Caper & Parsley Mayonnaise, Spiced Lamb Kofta with Mint Yogurt Dip (Skewers) and Grilled Fillet of Beef with Salsa Verde.
Our first song was A Thousand Years by Christina Perri. We didn’t want to take it too seriously and get stressed about the first dance, so we tried to make it simple and fun.
Best part of the day
Our favourite part of the day was the ceremony.
However at the ceremony, Michael misunderstood our rundown and asked his grandfather to start the speech before I walked down the aisle! When I arrived, I was a bit confused about what had already happened and then one of my bridesmaids forgot to take my vows (on a card) outside with me, this took a minute to sort out but in the end it went quite well!
For me, I also loved Michael’s Speech at the dinner. The speech was about our story, from how we met in Hong Kong to having a long distance relationship until I moved to Europe to live with him.
From one bride to another
- Use Instagram and Pinterest to help you to get more ideas
- Before confirming with suppliers, check their reviews thoroughly
- Try to find suppliers based close to the venue, this will help reduce any delivery costs
- Go for a calligraphy class (just half day will do!) and you can write beautiful place cards, invitation cards or even the seating plan
- If the venue allows, it is a MUST to get sparklers: they are low cost and all guests can get involved. They also make for very nice photos too!
- Don’t expect everything to be perfect. Perfection will just cause you stress. Weddings that flow naturally are the most beautiful!
- During the dinner, play some videos and/or a photo slide show. Connect everyone in the room by telling the guests about your story with humour and romance – it’ll bring everyone even closer together on your big day!
- Don’t forget to have a group photo or series of group photos with your guests
Venue Morden Hall
Photography Irene Yap Photography
Flowers Floribunda Rose
Dress Rosa Clara from Wedding Room Sposa, Italy
Bow Ties OTAA
Cake The Floury
Guest Favours RSPB Pin Badges
Light-up Letters Light It Up
Sparklers Tag Etsy
Table Place Cards Eagle Eyed Bride
Live Band Ear Candy Live
Confetti Shropshire Petals