Image courtesy of Sapphire Pink.
Today we’re talking lingerie… Something that both excites me and sends me into a panic.
Let me explain…
When it came to my own wedding day undergarments I got things a little bit wrong. I won’t go into ALL of the details but let’s just say I wish I’d given it all a little more consideration and actually ensured I was both comfortable and ummm, secure.
So, to ensure you pretties don’t make the same mistakes, we’ve got a cracking advice piece today thanks to Bridget-Clare O’Keeffe, the founder of Sapphire Pink – the bespoke bridal concierge service.
What’s this you might ask…?
Launched in 2013, Sapphire Pink is the ultimate destination for brides-to-be looking for complete bridal beauty and pampering. Offering a comprehensive menu of bespoke services to prepare brides, grooms and the bridal party for their wedding day.
Sounds pretty ace to me!
Back to the undies bit, Sapphire Pink offers personal lingerie consultations with stylists who specialise in sourcing pretty and practical underwear to perfectly suit your gown and body shape. Knowledgeable and experienced in lingerie shopping, the stylists work closely with you to find underwear that makes you feel confident and comfortable.
Yes I’ll have some of that please!
Notes from Sapphire Pink
Image courtesy of Sapphire Pink.
- First and foremost get fitted. Most women are wearing the wrong bra size and as a result are not getting the most out of their underwear. Rigby and Peller recommend fittings every 6-12 months. This is almost always a free service that will make a huge difference!
- Remember that you want to have a smooth silhouette. In keeping with this, consider seamless or control underwear.
- When choosing the colour of your underwear stay away from very bright whites as these will often show through fabric. Ivory or flesh colours will allow your underwear to seamlessly become part of your dress.
- If your dress is made of fine fabric remember that underwear made from materials such as lace could show through and break the softness that the fabric of your dress creates. Lace underwear may also irritate the skin if you are not used to wearing it.
- There are fabulous specialist convertible bras on the market that are made for strapless or backless dresses. It’s wonderful to have these as a staple in your wardrobe anyway so invest in good quality as they will last you many years.
- If you are wearing a strapless neck line remember not to wear a bra with straps in the morning before you put on your wedding dress as the marks on your shoulders may take a few hours to disappear.
- When considering wearing hold ups or tights think about what you are used to. If you decide to go for hold ups, as they are a lot cooler and make us feel that little bit sexier, make sure you get used to wearing them beforehand. Your wedding day isn’t the time to try anything for the first time, underwear styles included!
- If you decide to wear a corset or suspenders make sure that you have a professional fitting. Long gone are the days of whale bone and shallow breathing. Corsets can be very supportive and offer a kind silhouette to your hips and waist. Suspender belts must be worn just below the smallest part of your waist and should fit you as you would want the waist band of your knickers to, neither too loosely or too tight.
- Leave buying your underwear until the last month or so when you are confident that your weight won’t change. Most brides will lose a few pounds before their big day – you want your underwear to fit like a glove.
- It’s a good idea to take your dress with you when having your underwear fitted as the lingerie specialists will be able to take into account the delicate fabrics and complicated neck or back lines. Trying the entire ensemble on underneath your dress is essential to ensure that nothing is visible and that everything is comfortable.
- Don’t be afraid to have one set of underwear for your wedding day and one set for your wedding night. Practicality has to play a role in your choice for your dress, while your wedding night choice can express more of your personality.
- Our favourite bridal lingerie adorns the windows of Rigby and Peller while our sexy ‘evening of’ choice would have to come from Agent Provocateur.
Have fun with shopping for this part of your outfit, it is after all the foundation to every bride’s dream of the perfect dress!
Lots of love…